Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ministry Musings: The Good and The Difficult

There are some really great things about pastoring. I love participating and leading weekly worship services. I love preaching and all the preparation that goes into it. I love working within a community.

There are also some really difficult things about pastoring. There are the long and, sometimes, unproductive meetings. There is the administrative work that needs to be done for the denomination. There are those times when beloved community members get sick. There are the celebrations of life that are a privilege and a great responsibility.

Since I have been a Faith Church there has not been a lot of illness or many deaths. In two-and-a-half years of ministry I can count the number of funerals I have officiated here on one hand. (That is compared to the average 12 funerals a year at my previous appointments.) Perhaps I am a little out of practice. Still, I wish there didn't have to be any.

But I guess the good comes with the difficult. One of the best and most awe-inspiring things about being a pastor is being welcomed into the life of the congregation. With life comes joy and growth along with pain, illness and death. I'll take the difficult along with the good, because it is all a gift. But that doesn't make the difficult any easier.

1 comment:

Jay Furr said...

That has always been one of the aspects of the ministry that we least envy. We can easily imagine a day where everything's gone wrong, you're in a not-so-good mood, you've got a headache, you'd really like to get to bed early... and then the phone rings and you get the worst of bad news. And then you have to put on a caring minister face and more importantly, a caring and prayerful ministering persona, no matter how bad you might feel, and be there for the family, no matter how hard it might be. I never know what to say when someone passes away -- and even with training and practice it can't be something one looks forward to getting good at.