Monday, August 29, 2011

The Calm after the Storm

Today is an absolutely beautiful day. You almost wouldn't know that there was a hurricane yesterday! Irene blew through with high winds and torrential rains. Up here in northern VT we didn't get the worst of it. Flash-floods, though, in the southern part of the state continue to be very severe. My thoughts are with my fellow New Englanders struggling with the effects of the storm. My biggest inconvenience has been picking up sticks in our yard. We have two trees that shed branches in a mild breeze. I was actually surprised there weren't more branches down after the howling winds of last night. This afternoon I spent 30 minutes gathering sticks I only cleared about 1/8 of the yard. I'll keep at it and I'm sure there will be some left for Gary to pick up when he gets home at the end of the week!

The sky is an amazing blue today and the clouds are white and puffy in the sky just like a painting. The only give-away of the hurricane is the slightly tousled look of the trees, like they haven't quite gotten their branches and leaves back in place after a hard night.


No comments: