Monday, February 07, 2011

Goals

This is the year that Bady and I are going to attempt our preliminary Schutzhund title, the BH. (BH stands for some German words that I don't understand!) The BH tests for temperament and basic obedience. You need to pass the BH before you can move on to Schutzhund 1. The Schutzhund 1 title tests for tracking, obedience and protection. From Schutzhund 1 you can go on to Schutzhund 2,3 and beyond!

Our original goal was to try for our BH last year, but a variety of factors got in the way. The dates of the trials didn't fit my schedule and I was traveling frequently to visit my Dad. The truth is that we probably weren't ready anyway. Honestly, I don't know if we are ready now, but at least we have a date: April 30th. Having a date gives us a goal to work toward!

Having a goal also gives me a reason to stay motivated. Bady is excited about training all the time, but it is hard for me to get excited about training when there are 3 feet of snow on the ground. But the only way we are going to succeed is to practice a little every day! And if we can't practice outside, at least we can practice in the basement and at church.

Studying, however, is something I can do snow or no snow. Did I mention there is a written exam? Obviously the written portion is my responsibility, but Bady does his part to support me as I study. He's happy to lay at my feet in front of the fire while the snow is accumulating outside!

No comments: