Monday, November 15, 2010

Beautiful Saturday

Bady and I trained on Saturday and it was a beautiful day! You don't expect 60 degree temperatures in mid-November! Luckily I was getting over my cold, so I was able to bring him out on the field and show off all the hard work we had done at home.

He is heeling straighter, outing better and does a great, fast, straight recall. We need to start working on our sits and downs in motion and about-turns. He does them for me at home, but it is more challenging on the field with other dogs and people around. Our goal is to complete our BH in the spring and see where we are for Schutzhund 1 next fall. We shall see! Right now I am concentrating on one step at a time. I continue to be thankful for a Training Club that is patient with a 'newbie' like me!

When I reflect upon the confidence and peace I have found since working with Bady, I know there are other women who could benefit from similar canine-partnerships. After I was assaulted, just having Bady in my life allowed me to reclaim a safe space. Bady was a gift from God. The training we have done has challenged me and helped me see myself as a strong person again. I hope I can someday help other women struggling with PTSD reclaim that same sense of peace and safety.

No comments: