Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Different is Beautiful

I'm an introvert. That statement probably doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me! At Charge Conference of my first year at my first church the SPRC told my District Superintendent ~ Rev. Jerome Del Pino ~ that they would like me to be more 'outgoing.' Their previous pastor had been very extroverted. Rev. Del Pino said something that has always stuck with me. He told me, "Don't change yourself for any church. Just be yourself." It was great advice.

Beth Quick, a fellow introvert and United Methodist pastor, wrote a blog post about introverts and leadership. She also shared an article that makes a case for introverts making the best leaders.

Whether introverts or extroverts, we all have gifts to share. I do tend to be a bit sensitive and think that sometimes introverts get a bad rap. Often, it seems to me, extroverts think introverts want to be more like them. I love being an introvert and I wouldn't change this aspect of my personality for anything. Being an introvert doesn't mean that I am shy or unfriendly. It simply means that I re-energize through more reflective activities. I enjoy spending time alone.

So I say that we should honor each other and the variety of gifts we bring to the table... whether it be ministry, family or whatever! As the old camp song goes, "Different is beautiful!"

No comments: