Friday, February 20, 2009

Quilt

My Grammy Dot died about 10 years ago. She was a quilter. She made some beautiful pieces and I am blessed to have some of them in my home. When she died, though, she left several projects unfinished. I ended up with one of them.... a pink, white, and blue 'wedding ring' quilt top. All these years my plan has been to finish it myself. My mother offered to help me. But this year it dawned on me. "Who am I kidding? I'm not a quilter! And during the brief visits my mom and I share during the year, we're not going to want to quilt!" So I came up with Plan B.

Every Tuesday a group of women meet at the church to quilt. I've watched them make several quilts over the years and they are always absolutely gorgeous. They usually sell the quilts at the church fair and donate the money toward mission. This fall, as they were finishing up their latest quilt, it occurred to me to ask them if they had another project lined up. When they said no, I asked them if they would be interested in taking on something a little different! They were happy to be asked and thrilled when they saw the beautiful quilt top my Grammy had begun.

Now, every Tuesday, I get to see the progress they are making on the quilt. I'm so pleased that the donation I make will go entirely to missions and that I will, finally, be able to enjoy this quilt that has spent the last 10 years in my closet. I'm also happy that this quilt will not only hold good memories of my Grammy Dot, but also memories of the kind and generous quilting ladies at South UMC!

No comments: