Sunday, February 01, 2009

Pinewood Derby

Yesterday I blessed the Pinewood Derby. It was my third time doing this. Boy Scout, Cub Scout, and Girl Scout Troops all use our building, but the Cub Scouts are the only ones who regularly request a pastor's presence at their events. The Pinewood Derby is fun, and I am glad to attend (besides the fact it involves getting up and dressed before 9am on a Saturday), but I never know quite what to say for a blessing.

This year I did the usual ~ asking God's to be with us and bless the Cubs and their leaders. However, I wonder if there is a more meaningful ministry I could offer. Many of the Cubs and their families are unchurched. Hope do I reach beyond the usual and offer them some hope while still making them feel welcome in our building, whether they attend worship or not?

Any thoughts on ministry to Scouting families ~ whether they be Boy, Girl or Cub Scouts? Any suggestions for next year's Pinewood Derby blessing.... or the Blue and Gold Breakfast blessing coming up next month!?

No comments: