Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Life Insurance

Yesterday Gary and I did a very grown-up thing. We took out a life insurance policy. It isn't as if we came up with the idea ourselves, though. We were alerted to a special offer through our benefits provider. Yet, instead of letting the opportunity pass by, we decided to take advantage of it.

It strikes me as somewhat ironic that this all happened at the beginning of our Lenten Journey when we hear the words, "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return."

As partners and parents, Gary and I have to acknowledge that we are not going to live forever. Life insurance helps us plan for that, and that's important. Yet spiritual planning is just as important as practical planning. It is also a very grown-up thing to recognize that we are created as mortal beings, loved by God with a finite time on earth. How do I want to spend that time? What is most important to me? How does my life reflect that? These are the questions I will be focusing on during this season of Lent.

What about you? What is your Lenten preparation?

No comments: