Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Five ~ Pet Edition

RevGal Sophia writes: My son's tiny beloved lizard, Elf, is looking and acting strange this week. His skin/scales are quite dark, and he is lethargic. We are adding vitamin drops to his lettuce and spinach and hoping and praying that he is just getting ready to shed his skin--but it's too soon to tell. Others in the ring have also been worried about beloved pets this week. And, in the saddest news of all, Songbird has had to bid farewell to her beloved Molly, the amazing dog who is well known to readers of her blog as a constant sacrament of God's unconditional love.

So in memory of Molly, and in honor of all the beloved animal companions who bless our lives: tell us about the five most memorable pets you have known.

As I sit writing this, I am surrounded (literally) by three of the best pets one could ask for. Bady (our German Shepherd) is snoozing on his mat. Nicky (our Border Collie) is pacing around the room, as usual. And Zeke (our kitty) is perched atop the living room chair. Each of my "boys" have been an important part of my journey. Zeke was there (with my bunny, Raisin) through my years of seminary and my first experience of living alone. Nicky came to me during my first year at my first church ~ full of energy, filling a lonely house with his presence. Bady is the newest arrivial and my constant companion ~ in the house, in the car, at the church, making visits, by my bed.

Since I was five years old, and we brought our money cat Abby home from the pound, I have always had a furry friend (or two or three). Abby was a dignified soul who didn't quite appreciate the antics of a five year old. Not long after, though, Fluff was adopted ~ a little puff of yellow fur who liked to play with me and attack her sister. I give thanks for all my animal friends, past and present. My condolensces go to Songbird at the loss of Molly. While I know there are many who would challenge my theology.... I firmly believe that all dogs (and cats and lizards and rabbits) go to heaven.


5 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Nice and nice looking pets!

Sophia said...

I always wanted to have a bunny...maybe someday.

KristaBeth said...

Bunnies are great! If you get them young and handle them a lot, they love to cuddle.

Songbird said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Auntie Knickers said...

A cat and a bunny together? Wow. That's something. Beautiful animals at your place.