Thursday, January 08, 2009

On My Toes

This week has kept me on my toes. It's been one of those weeks when nothing seems to work out the way it "should". For example, Monday I was supposed to go to Maine for the Local Church Transformation Committee meeting. I made sure everything was ready the night before, so when I got up at 5 AM the next morning I would just have to shower and leave. During the night, however, rains had left a glare of ice all over Connecticut. The 'News" was reporting slick conditions throughout the state and treacherous driving. By 9 AM the ice had pretty much either melted or been treated, but by then it was way too late for me to make it to the meeting.

Tuesday was also a funny day. I struck out for my worship service at the convalescent home in plenty of time. Yet I found the power was out all over town and street lights were not working! It was chaos. I finally made it there late, which was not a huge deal. After leaving I had a whole list of errands to do... but found that, due to the power outage... the hospital was shut down, my prescription could not be filled and the bank was closed!

Another winter storm on Wednesday led to the cancellation of my second meeting of the week ~ the Camp Aldersgate Confirmation Retreat meeting!

And today, after a week without it, the dryer was supposed to be fixed. The half-hour repair turned into a two-hour job which resulted in the very nice repair man coming upstairs looking apologetic. "I put the new part in and it still doesn't work!"

I'm hoping for more predictability next week, but it is nice to know that God still has a sense of humor!

No comments: