Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday Five ~ Breakfast Edition

Since I LOVE breakfast, I thank RevGal Sophia for this Friday Five! While enjoying some pancakes made by her family, she writes:

"So pull up a chair to the kitchen table and tell us all about your pancake preferences..."

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?

Gary is the pancake maker around here. He has made both from mix and from scratch. One of our favorites is a multi-grain mix we pick up at 'Whole Foods," but it all tastes good to me ~ especially since I don't have to cook it!

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?

Sometimes we add almonds, but we don't ever get too fancy. Plain and simple is best as far as I am concerned. One of my favorite pancake stories comes from a camping trip of my Dad's. On a guy's only camping trip, apparently one of them got up and started the pancakes but left the batter to go do something else. One of the other guys got up and found the batter so he mixed it and put the pancakes on the griddle. When the other guy got back he said, "Oh, you started the pancakes!" The second guy said, "Yeah, but that batter was no good. It took me forever to get the lumps out." Shocked, the first guy said, "Those weren't lumps! Those were apples!"

3. For breakfast or for dinner?

Both! Pancakes, or waffles, with bacon make a a great dinner for a special treat!

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?

Just syrup and butter for me! I'm usually in charge of the side dishes. Bacon or sausage are good on the side, along with some hash browns, if we have them.

5. Favorite pancake restaurant?

I usually find that restaurant pancakes are too thick. For breakfasts out I tend to get waffles or an omlet. However, we have too annual pancake meals at church ~ a brunch during Advent and a Shrove Tuesday dinner. There is just something about church pancakes. They aren't too thick... they are made with love... Next to Gary's, they are the best!

4 comments:

Rev Kim said...

Great play! Love the camping story!

Auntie Knickers said...

Great story! And I'm wondering why it seems that guys are in charge of pancakes in so many households (including mine). That and grilling. It must have something to do with flipping???

Sophia said...

Wow, you must have been at better church pancake suppers than I have. The love is there but I have always found the pancakes less than exciting--though partly it's because I only like real maple syrup and that's probably too expensive for a group occasion. Guess I'm just too picky!

NE/ME said...

I remember the pancake "lump" story...next time I come - I want pancakes!!