Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Quote of the Week ~ Desert

I've been spending time in the desert lately ~ or at least the with desert mothers and fathers. In fact, it seems like whatever book or journal or devotion I pick up, it has something to do with the desert. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be learning, but I will keep praying and reading. For today, here is some advice from Anthony, desert father of the 4th century.

Believe in the Lord and love him. Keep yourself from impure thoughts and fleshy pleasures. Pray continually. Avoid vanity. Sing psalms before sleep and on awakening. Hold in your hearts the commandments of Scripture. Be mindful of the works of the saints so that your souls, being put in remembrance of the commandments, may be brought into harmony with the zeal of the saints.


No comments: