Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ooops.... Friday Five on Tuesday

I'm way behind on my RevGals reading, so I'm just now getting to last week's Friday Five! I thought it was a good one, so here goes.

RevGal Mother Laura suggests, "... share your experiences with the exciting, challenging world of business travel...."

1. Does your job ever call for travel? Is this a joy or a burden?

My "business" travel is mostly for Annual Conference and Continuing Education events. Most of the time travel is within New England, but a couple times I've been able to go a little further. In 2003 I went to the School of Congregational Development in Washington D.C. In 2005 I traveled to the National Pastor's Convention in Nashville. Both were great! In about a month I am heading to the mid west for a mediation training institute offered through the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center. I can't wait!

Since my business travel happens relatively infrequently it has not become a burden. I would say it is a joy. At least it's a change of pace.

2. How about that of your spouse or partner?

Gary has yet to join me on a 'business' trip. Next month he will be staying home to take care of the dogs and cat. If he did come, we would have to pay his way. But that's okay! We'll save his time off for exotic vacation travel!

As for his business travel, most of his travel is day trips. However, he did have the chance to go to a conference in California last summer. It happened to fall during Campmeeting, so Ben and I stayed here in New England while he enjoyed the other coast.

3. What was the best business trip you ever took?

My trip to the National Pastor's Convention was a lot of fun. I heard lots of amazing speakers, got the chance to experience new forms of worship and explored a little bit of Nashville. It didn't hurt that the hotel was really nice and I had a room all to myself! (See below!)

4. ...and the worst, of course?

Well, the Washington trip was good. I learned a lot and got to hear Adam Hamilton speak. The accommodations at the hotel were nice, but I was trying to save money by sharing a room with 3 other women that I didn't know very well and.... well.... it just got.... crowded.

5. What would make your next business trip perfect?

Smooth air travel, nice hotel, the chance to grow in my faith and ministry skills and the opportunity to make new friends!

No comments: