Friday, October 17, 2008

Equality

Last Friday the Connecticut Supreme court ruled that it is unconstitutional to deny marriage to same-sex couples. I celebrate this ruling and am proud to live in a state that affirms the rights of all people. Two other states have done the same ~ Massachusetts and California. California is in the process of voting on whether or not to remove the right of same-sex couples to marry. My blog-friend (and fellow UMC pastor and daughter of my mother's good friend), Molly, wrote this great post on why she supports same-sex marriage.

Connecticut is just entering into the debate that may or may not lead to a similar vote. So far there have been angry letters to the editor and people protesting the ruling in Hartford. I thank Molly for her insights and hope that I may be so eloquent in describing my position to friends and parishioners if I find myself in a similar situation. For now I celebrate marriage equality in Connecticut and pray that this spirit of equality spreads.

No comments: