Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Quote of the Week ~ Scars

I am back from a wonderful and exhausting week in Maine. Campmeeting is always so much busier than I think it will be! I did manage to do some reading, though, and my quote this week comes from my vacation reading! I will write more about our vacation later, but for now here is my quote of the week:

"Why did Christ keep his scars? He could have had a perfect body, or no body, when he returned to splendor in heaven. Instead he carried with him remembrances of his visit to earth. For a reminder of his time here, he chose scars. That is why I say God hears and understands our pain, and even absorbs it into himself - because he kept those scars as a lasting image of wounded humanity. God has been here and has borne the sentence. The pain of humanity has become the pain of God." Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey, In His Image

No one gets through life without a few scars. Sometimes they are on the surface and sometimes underneath. If I didn't believe that God hears and understands the pains of living, life would be unbearable. Yet ours is a God who suffered. And I give thanks that ours is a God who keeps his scars.

No comments: