Monday, August 11, 2008

Quote of the Week ~ Gardening

I just picked up Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food life. (I know, I am a little behind the times.) I am still at the very beginning of the book, but I really appreciated her discussion of the spiritual aspects of gardening. Gardening is investing in the future. Why can't it also be a spiritual passion and discipline? My Grandmother would have certainly agreed!

"Gardeners are widely known and mocked for this sort of fanaticism. But other people fast or walk long pilgrimages to honor the spirit of what they believe makes our world whole and lovely. If we gardeners can, in the same spirit, put our heels to the shovel, kneel before a trench holding tender roots, and then wait three years for an edible incarnations of the spring equinox, who's to make the call between ridiculous and reverent?"
(Barbara Kingsolver Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.)

Amen!

No comments: