Saturday, July 26, 2008

Quote of the Week ~ Purgation

Since we will be away next week (and I won't be bringing my computer!) I thought I would share next week's quote a couple days early. This statement gives me hope and lifts up the truth of the Apostle Paul's affirmation from this week's lectionary, "...all things work together for good for those who love God..." Even when it seems like we are going backward, God is there working to bring us to an unexpected new place.

"The way of purgation involves an entry into what is unnerving, even grotesque in our lives, into what quickly reveals our limits. It seems at first like most beginnings in the spiritual life, a mistake, a false start, an imperfection in God's planning, a regression in our own growth. Only through hindsight do we recognize it for the unexpected gift that it is."

~ Belden C. Lane The Solace of Fierce Landscapes

These past couple of months have felt both like a mistake and a regression in my spiritual and emotional growth and health. Yet there is good news. In the process of letting go, I am making room to accept ~ even embrace ~ a new way of life. I'm beginning to glimpse that unexpected gift. Sometimes it is blurry, sometimes it is beyond my sight, but I know it is there.

No comments: