RevGal, Singing Owl, brings us this week's Friday Five:
"What are the five things you simply must have when you are away from home? And why? Any history or goofy things, or stories?"
Since we are currently in the midst of packing for a week long vacation to our little cottage in Maine, this Friday Five felt very appropriate. We leave on Sunday after church, so most of the packing must be done by tomorrow night. Between Gary, Ben, me and the dog (woof!) we have a lot of stuff to bring. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily, because of gas prices) we are bringing two cars!
1. My pillow...I can get by without it if absolutely necessary, but if at all possible, I bring it. It is about 20 years old, flat as a pancake and not pretty at all, but it is mine and it helps me sleep better.
2. Earplugs. When going away, even to a familiar place, you never know what you will encounter. Last spring, at camp, we welcomed the day with a woodpecker pecking an aluminum ladder at 5:00am. The earplugs didn't completely block out the noise, but helped dull it enough so I could sleep!
3. Blistex. I firmly believe that for each person there are a few specific things that help them to 'feel human.' Blistex is one of those things for me.
4. Advil. Staying up late. Getting up early. Not drinking enough water. Forgoing exercise. All those things lead to headaches, headaches, headaches. It is sad to say, but I probably end up taking more Advil during vacation than any other time.
5. Books. There is nothing better than vacation reading. It guilt free reading, as far as I am concerned. Novels, magazines, anything goes.... Now I just need to find a good book (alongside my Bible :>) to pack for next week. Any suggestions?