Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Surprise!

Last Sunday we threw a surprise baby shower for my good friend who is expecting. It was particularly fun since it really was a surprise. Some 50 church women were able to pull it off without spilling the beans. There were a couple close calls, but we did it!

Being at the shower drove home to me what it means to be part of a community of faith. My friend is a transplant to Connecticut. Most of her family lives out west. Even though her family was not able to come, she was surrounded by the love and care of her church family. There were women there who could have been her sister or mother or grandmother or maybe even great-grandmother. And they were all so happy to be part of her special time. What do people do ~ where do people find connections ~ when they are not part of a community of faith?

Family will be flying in from across the country in a couple of weeks for another shower. I get to join in that one, too, and I'm sure it will be great fun. I feel blessed to be part of it all ~ one of the many people who is anticipating this baby with lots of love ready to share. In related news, the most exciting thing for me this week was getting to feel the baby move and feeling the push of a little foot! How cool is that?

No comments: