Friday, May 09, 2008

Glide Memorial UMC

During our day in San Francisco we visited Glide Memorial UMC. It was my one request and I think I freaked-out our traveling companions a bit! Glide is located in a rather tough part of town, but that is the point. There were people sleeping in the doorways and panhandlers on the corners surrounding the church. We saw some pretty desperate looking people. Yet Glide's mission focus is on helping those in the community who are struggling with homelessness, poverty, drug addiction, joblessnes, etc.

While we did not get a tour of the church, we did find a nice man who showed us around and told us a little bit about their work. Glide Memorial UMC has a budget of $15 million. That is mind blowing enough, but think of 90% of that budget going to mission in the city. That makes me think of our budget and what we are doing with the money we have. Our church budget is, admittedly, nowhere near $15 million, but still ~ where our treasure is, there our hearts will be also.

Here is a picture of me standing in the hallway of the church. Just from my brief look-around, I would say they are definitely living out this slogan. I hope I can too!

No comments: