Friday, April 18, 2008

Unpredictable

As much as I like to imagine a predictable life, this week certainly proved me wrong again. While weeks may go by that seem predictable enough, there is nothing predictable about ministry.

Sunday there were new visitors at church who required some face time after the service. Great! But not in my plan for Sunday afternoon!

Tuesday there was an emergency hospital visit (following the SPRC meeting) which kept me out until 11:00pm. This was a tough one, so it I ended up being awake half the night....

...which resulted in less productivity on Wednesday. There was just no way to get my mind around the sermon after only a few hours sleep. I did a few less cognitively challenging tasks and called it a day.

Thursday was the Late Night Blitz which is a fun night of pizza, bowling, games and sundaes for our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. Rested from Tuesday / Wednesday I was ready for an afternoon of work on the sermon until I got a call from one of our elderly members that her sister is dying and would like prayers. I was back to church in time for the Blitz, but not in time for the sermon!

Today is Friday ~ my day off~ and the sermon is no where! I'm hoping for a more predictable Saturday! But for now its off to lunch with my friend. Another surprise in my schedule, but the kind of surprise I am up for at this point!

Next week will be unpredictable too....VACATION! The blogs will be quiet for a while, but I'll fill you in on San Francisco / Sacramento when we get back. (Let's hope the airlines don't have any surprises in store for us!)

1 comment:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

hey have a very blessed & relaxing vacation. the sermon will come... they always do... well okay usually do.. no back to always! god is good thataway!