Friday, April 04, 2008

Friday Five ~ Revelation Edition

RevGal Sally writes, "With this Sunday's gospel reading in mind (that wonderful revelation of Christ to the companions on the Emmaus road) I wonder where you might have been surprised by God's revelation recently."

Even though I'm not preaching lectionary this week, I guess I can participate!

1. Book

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently read Matthew Avery Sutton's "Aimee Semple McPherson and the Resurrection of Christian America." McPherson is essentially the fore-mother of our current crop of TV evangelists. I have a lot of problems with TV evangelists, but I came away from the book with a great deal of respect for McPherson. She had her demons, but she also helped a lot of people. This just reminded me that my preconceived ideas and notions cannot limit the work of God's Spirit.

2.Film

Last night I watched the documentary "For the Bible Tells Me So." Excellent! It challenges Christian homophobia through teachings and examples. I truly believe that what makes us Christian is love, not adherence to relatively obscure passages of Scripture. I thank God for the courage of those families who participated in the making of the film. They were Christ to me as I watched and heard their stories.

3. Song

"Up From the Grave he Arose." Do Easter hymns get any better?? I sang it three times last Sunday (both the traditional and "Spark"ed-up versions). I never get tired of it!

4. Another person

A gift was left in my mailbox on Easter morning. It was an original framed water color painting of the sun rising by my artist friend. This individual is going through a tough time both personally and medically. That she would take the time to create this for me means more than I can say. I feel so thankful and blessed.

5. Creation

Little purple flowers that are shooting up all over the church grounds, undeterred by the impending snow storm. I still haven't put away my hats and mittens, but these little flowers have faith!

Bonus answer: your choice- share something encouraging/ amazing/ humbling that has happened to you recently!

A note from a long distant friend. We had lost touch, but hearing from her again made me remember the journey we had together and it was good.

3 comments:

Sally said...

little flowers with faith, I love it!! :-)

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

original art is always a fabulous gift because you get not only something irreplaceable but something lovingly made...

RevAnne said...

reminds me of a song by Big Tent Revival--"all we really need is the faith of a little seed"