Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

RevGal Sally writes, "Well it had to be didn't it, love them or hate them I bet you've been asked about New Year resolutions. So with no more fuss here is this weeks Friday Five."

1. Do you make New Year resolutions?

I have made New Year's Resolutions in the past... usually about eating right or exercise.... but I don't have any resolutions for this year. I've found that New Year's Resolutions don't work very well anyway. If there is something I really want to do, I am going to do it regardless. If there is something I really don't want to do, resolving to do it at the beginning of the year is not going to make me do it!

2. Is this something you take seriously, or is it a bit of fun?

When I do make resolutions I don't tend to take them too seriously!

3. Share one goal for 2008.

Complete my scrapbook for our January 2007 Caribbean Cruise. We said we wouldn't go on another cruise until the scrapbook was completed.... and it's about time!

4. Money is no barrier, share one wild/ impossible dream for 2008.

Renovate the "Scout Room" at our church so our Contemporary Service and Youth Group can have an appropriate place to worship. The "Scout Room" is a wonderful, large space in the basement that has been basically unused and untouched. Redo the walls, floor and ceiling. Put in a sound / multi-media system and we could have a great place to let our Emergent Worship grow and develop.... not to mention Youth Worship, Coffee House.... the possibilities are endless.

5. Someone wants to publish a story of your year in 2008, what will the title of that book be?

The Middle of the Conversation... I read a newspaper article recently where a pastor was quoted as saying, "The sermon is not the first word or the last word. It is the middle of the conversation." I love that. That is how I want to preach, live and lead....not having the first word or the last word, but being in the middle of the conversation.

3 comments:

Tripp Hudgins said...

That is a fantastic book title. You took this much more seriously than I. Well played.

Counselor in Process said...

I like the title and I hope the scout room excludes the exclusive boy scouts.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

the middle of the conversation... i really, really like that. will think of that as i wrap up this week's sermon writing...

and keep the dream of transitiong the scout room alive... sounds wonderful!

oh... are those scissors i hear cutting into acid-free paper? * honk honk * that's the limo waiting to take you to the ship...