Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas

The tree is up, the stockings have been hung, and it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Even the New England weather is cooperating, with temperatures in the 30's. It looks and feels like Christmas.

So why don't I feel like Christmas yet? I'm not quite sure. I've done all the necessary things... I've sent my cards, done my shopping, wrapped some gifts and even done some baking. I've been listening to Christmas music, but I just don't feel very Christmas-y.

In our Advent study book Karl Rahner is quoted, "Every year we roll up all our needs and yearnings and faithful expectation into one word: 'Come!'" I think maybe I don't feel Christmas yet because I am feeling Advent. That expectation and hope and anticipation for what is to come. It is joyful, yet also a little scary. I'm not sure why my Advent 'waiting' is stronger this year than others... but I am willing to go with it and see what unfolds. O Come, O Come Emmanuel. Yes, I think I am beginning to feel a lot like Advent.

No comments: