Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday Five ~ Rejoice

In the words of RevGal Mother Laura. "Can you believe that in two days we'll be halfway through Advent? Gaudete Sunday: pink candle on the advent wreath, rose vestments for those who have them, concerts and pageants in many congregations. Time to rejoice! Rejoice in the nearness of Christ's coming, yes, but also in the many gifts of the pregnant waiting time when the world (in the northern hemisphere, at least) spins ever deeper into sweet, fertile darkness."

What makes you rejoice about:

1. Waiting?

When I was a child I hated waiting. (I think maybe all children do!) Time seemed to go so much slower and I remember keeping track of my 'Christmas Countdown' on the back of one of my spiral bound notebooks...marking off each day when I took my notebook out at school. Now I am not nearly as impatient. In fact, waiting is a full and rich experience all on its own. Waiting gives us time to prepare... not just by shopping and baking...but also spiritually. If there is no time of waiting and anticipation, how can we truly enjoy it when the time arrives?

2. Darkness?

Living in New England, the days get short quickly and darkness starts descending around 4:30pm each night this time of year. While I think I do suffer from some seasonal depression, part of me loves this time of year. I like closing the blinds early, lighting candles and wrapping up in a blanket by the fire. It is a time for going to bed early and sleeping later... hibernating. Darkness is simply the absence of light... knowing the light will come makes the darkness easier to bear.

3. Winter?

Having just come through our first major snow storm of the year, I must admit that I am a little shocked by winter. We have another snow storm on the way for the weekend. Winter has not arrived this early for the pat four winters we have lived in Connecticut. However, I remember Thanksgivings in Maine with two feet of snow! Winter is unpredictable and surprising. It is a time of snow days and canceled plans. I love looking out the window to a beautiful, undisturbed blanket of white. That is winter.

4. Advent?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've experienced Advent more profoundly this year than ever before. I rejoice in this Advent experience and pray with quiet longing, "Come, Lord Jesus. Come soon."

5. Jesus' coming?

Kingdom living. Justice. Mercy. Rejoicing. Celebration. Everything being made right again. Beauty and truth and love. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Amen. Is there anything better? Let us rejoice!

4 comments:

Rev Kim said...

Great play!

Songbird said...

We certainly have the snow here now, and more to come!

Mother Laura said...

Beautiful play--thank you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

mmm what makes the darkness bearable is knowing the light will come...i like that...

and going to bed early and sleeping late... glad to know i'm not the only one.