Friday, December 07, 2007

Friday Five ~ Advent Preparations

In keeping with the theme of my last post, RevGal Sally questions, "...whether you are the kind of person that likes everything prepared well in advance, are you a last minute crammer, or a bit of a mixture?"

Here then is this weeks Friday 5:

1. You have a busy week, pushing out all time for preparing worship/ Sunday School lessons/ being ready for an important meeting (or whatever equivalent your profession demands)- how
do you cope?

Try to get us much as possible done ahead of time. I am much better at planning ahead than I was just a few years ago. This has cut down on my stress considerably! At the beginning of the week I try to map out my days as much as possible and try to chip-away at things a little every day. (Of course an unexpected funeral can throw every thing off.) For the most part this works.

2. You have unexpected visitors, and need to provide them with a meal- what do you do?

Order out. Cooking is not something I can do spontaneously. That is why God made delivery!

Three discussion topics:

3. Thinking along the lines of this weeks advent theme; repentance is an important but often neglected aspect of advent preparations.....

Yes... I've only recently come to appreciate the connection between Advent and Lent. I think this is one reason that my Advent preparations have taken a different turn this year.... less about Christmas and more about waiting, anticipating and expecting that which is about to come into the world.

4. Some of the best experiences in life occur when you simply go with the flow.....

Going with the flow is not one of my strengths, but it is something I need to do as a pastor more often than I would like! I suppose that what Sally suggests is true, though. Being present to the moment is the only way to really experience those little miracles of life.

5. Details are everything, attention to the small things enables a plan to roll forward smoothly...

Yes and no. Even I think there is such a thing as planning too much! Otherwise, how will the Holy Spirit get in!

Bonus if you dare- how well prepared are you for Christmas this year?

Decorating ~ finished
Cards ~ sent
Shopping ~ almost done
Packages ~ mailed
Wrapping ~ started
Baking ~ in the oven
Christmas music ~ playing in the background

I think I am pretty well prepared. (But ask me on the morning of December 24th when I am trying to finish my Christmas Eve sermon!)

4 comments:

Sally said...

goodness you are organised- I am sooo impressed- I need to concentrate on details a bit more:-)

GrcGrl said...

I am impressed with all you have done and it's only the 7th of December! I have my general themes for each service...but no sermons written so don't be that impressed!

Deb said...

Wow. I feel left behind in the swoosh of your preparations. Can I plead papers and school as my excuse? (Answer: no - because when I wasn't in school it was still this bad...)

AH well.

d

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

WOW - baking, wrapping, shopping, and decorating... jeepers. you've been way busy. sit down, put your feet up, relax as you munch on something freshly baked.