Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Personal Time

This morning, while driving to the mechanic's to pick up the Jeep, Gary and I heard a report on NPR about the millennial generation and their views on work. Apparently 'work' is cutting in to their personal time to the detriment of their social lives. When I heard this I asked Gary, "What is this 'personal time' that they speak of? I don't think I am familiar with this concept." Gary smiled and said something like, "That's because you don't work... you have a vocation."

True... very true. But in light of yesterday's post, it is interesting to consider when my personal time begins and my work time ends. I consider Friday personal time... I watch TV, lounge around in my PJ's and try not to think about church stuff. Also, I consider the hours between 6am and 9:45am personal time. I read, eat breakfast with Gary, catch up on the news, and walk the dog or go to the gym. But it is also true that at any moment I could be called to the hospital or to the side of a parishioner in crisis. As long as these are true emergencies, I really do not mind the intrusion on my personal time. Also, during my personal time I enjoy reading theology and reflecting on the spiritual life... and during my work time, I sometimes blog!

While I enjoy my personal time and my work time, I think life works best for me when I don't compartmentalize. My work time informs my personal time and my personal time impacts my work time. (That's not to say I don't need time off... away from phones, e-mails, deadlines and the day to day concerns and complaints of church members!) The best of all would be to live a whole life, balanced by work and leisure.... covered by the umbrella of the vocation and guided by the Holy Spirit.

What do you think?

1 comment:

scituatedrev said...

I like your thoughts about use of time, and I agree, the more integrated, the better. When I was a school teacher (which now seems a lifetime ago), I remember a more clear line between "work" and "personal." As a high school special ed. teacher, I had the luxury of rarely taking work home. Then, of course, there was church, another compartment.

I do remember, however, as I moved closer to changing vocations, that my life became more integrated. My faith informed and even found a place in my work. I ended up in many natural conversations with other teachers and students about faith. I think that if I had continued to teach instead of preach, this integration would have continued to develop.

I wonder - is this what God means by shalom? A wholly, holy, integrated life, with the rhythms of work, play, and quiet flowing easily from one to the other.

Enjoy your posts Krista - keep up the great thoughts!