RevGal Songbird reminds us of the upcoming Thanksgiving Epistle lesson:
"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (Philippians 4:8, NRSV)
She then suggests: "Friends, it's nearly Thanksgiving in the U.S. and it's the time of year when we are pressed to name things for which we are thankful. I want to offer a twist on the usual lists and use Paul's letter to the church at Philippi as a model. Name five things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. These could be people, organizations, acts, ideas, works of art, pieces of music--whatever comes to mind for you."
So here I go....
1. Having my amazing husband back from Louisiana where he was on a mission trip. (His first one!) Working in a "haz-mat" suit... demolishing houses that will be rebuilt... I commend all that Gary did and the worthy work of the Northshore Disaster Recovery Team.
2. The work of our church this past year. Sunday is our annual Charge Conference and we will celebrate the ministries of 2007 while we look with hope to 2008. Much has happened in 2007 ~ some of it difficult but all of it opening up new opportunities for the Spirit to be at work within us.
3. Swirling leaves and the promise of snow and the ability to just relax and enjoy it. I'm working on this one... the relaxing part, that is. It's hard to practice unbusyness when Charge Conference is on Sunday! I really am trying, though.
4. The newborn baby, Isabella, held this week. She spit-up on my new sweater, but I didn't even care. New life... pure adorableness. It's intoxicating!
5. Chocolate chip cookies made by Mom... tucked away in the freezer for an anytime snack. Pleasing... excellent... worthy of praise. A little taste of home at a moment's notice.