Thursday, October 18, 2007

Playing Catch-up

A fellow UM New England blogger shared the following story on his blog. I had heard it before, but something about it struck me this time:

Ruth Fry was a distinguished explorer who was working in the Amazon with natives as guides and bearers. On one trip, the party made extraordinary progress through the jungle for the first two days. On the third day, however, the natives were just sitting around looking solemn and making no preparations for further travel. The chief explained that the natives couldn't go any further because," they have to wait for their souls to catch up to their bodies."

Morning devotions have become very important to me in the past couple of years. Before that I basically practiced devotions on a hit or miss basis... depending on my schedule or how tired I was at the end of the day. Since I have been regularly reading the Bible, praying and meditating early in the morning I have felt closer to God and more balanced in my work and life. As a result, I think I have come to a deeper appreciation of the needs of my soul.

When reading the story it struck me that on those days I don't do that (yes, there still are some days!), it does feel as though I haven't given my soul that time to catch up with my body. Instead of operating on soul-strength ~ nourished by the presence of God ~ I am trying to operate on my own strength. I can get by a couple days like that, but in the end, it never works out. So all the more reason to stick with my spiritual discipline.

Thanks, ministry and moments in Maine, for the inspiration and reminder!

1 comment:

David Abbott said...

Thanks for the connection and the reflection...it's great to what others hear in the words that were given to me and spoke to me in a very special way...