Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Five ~ Food Edition

RevHRod gives us today's Friday Five in honor of the reality show Top Chef. I haven't seen it, but I'll play along anyway!

If you were a food, what would you be?

Probably a traditional New England dish. Something hearty yet not too spicy.

What is one of the most memorable meals you ever had? And where?

A while back I ate at a local restaurant that I heard was great. I'm sure the food would've been good if I hadn't been distracted by the fly that had died on top of my penne pasta. I won't name the restaurant since others have had good experiences there....

What is your favorite comfort food from childhood?

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies. We almost always had them around and they were always delicious. makes me feel good just thinking about them!

When going to a church potluck, what one recipe from your kitchen is sure to be a hit?

My stand-bys are Lime Pear Salad (a jello dish with cream cheese and pears) or Pea Salad (canned peas with cheddar cheese, celery, mayo and bacon bits). The Pea Salad sounds kind of gross (at least to me... canned peas?!?), but it is really good and everyone seems to like it.

What’s the strangest thing you ever willingly ate?

I'm a recent convert to sushi. Eating raw fish still kind of freaks me out, but it is surprisingly good.

9 comments:

mompriest said...

I've had that pea salad, it is good.

and, did you send that pasta back, discretly and ask for something else, or did it so freak you out that you didn't want anything they had to offer...

Rev Kim said...

Oh yes, I love that kind of pea salad! I also put homemade chocolate chip cookies, and sushi is my strangest thing - but I've never taken to it.

Great play!

Kievas said...

I guess your meal was memorable in a different sort of way :)

Wyldth1ng said...

I am sorry I just imagine eating raw fish, props to you.

KristaBeth said...

In answer to mompriest, I couldn't eat anything after that!

Songbird said...

What a terrible thing to see!

Melissa said...

Sushi! Delicious. :-)

RevHRod said...

I really don't like peas, but somehow when you put them in that salad, I like them. Go figure! Thanks for playing!

And just think, if you'd eaten the bug, it could be the strangest thing you'd ever voluntarily eaten....

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,

You didn't mention that the pea salad is an addition to your menu from the Midwest. Maybe others do it in Maine, but we never did. The first time I had it was in Nebraska and it was a hit with me from then on.
Love, Mom