Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Fall - ing

The past several years I have noticed a change in my spirit during the fall. I begin the fall with excitement and anticipation, which soon dissipates into exhaustion and apprehension. It is not so significant that I would describe it as depression, but it is noticeable enough. Maybe it is the decrease in sun light, the effect of Charge Conference season or stress from upcoming holidays. Maybe it is the let down from the months spent gearing up for the new fall programs. Maybe it is just the way my spirit works.

Whatever the cause, it just seems that it takes a little more effort to get things done. Housework takes longer. Sermons don't come so easily. Sleep is more fleeting. Getting out of bed is a chore.

I don't write any of this to make you feel sorry for me! I write it simply to acknowledge that it has happened and is happening. I don't want to deny it, so I am owning it as my reality. Life is full of ups and downs. Knowing the ups are coming makes the downs more tolerable. At least that's what I'm telling myself. And, as I said in an earlier post (quoting John Wesley), "The best of all, God is with us."

No comments: