Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five ~ De-clutter Edition

RevGal friend Sally writes about her twins moving off to college and the resulting sorting, packing and recycling:

"Making the most of our resources is important. I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate. I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5:"

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?

I'm hardly a minimalist, although I would like to be more of one. I love my knick knacks. However, I do a pretty good job of getting rid of stuff I no longer want / need / like. Church fairs and tag sales help in that regard. There is always somewhere to bring those unwanted items. (As long as they weren't gifts from parishioners!)

2. Name one important object (could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.

This is a hard question to answer. My first thought is my photos. I always think my photos would be the first thing I would grab (if i could) if the house caught on fire. (Okay, I'd probably grab the cat and dog first). I also love the quilts that both of my grandmothers made and my grandfather's oil paintings. Then there are the stuffed animals I love from my childhood.... I could go on and on.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???

I'm pretty sure I still have a sweatshirt from my Junior High years. (Twenty years ago... yikes!) Yes. It still fits.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?

I hate yard sales. I don't particularly like going to yard sales and I really hate hosting yard sales. I much prefer to give my stuff away to Goodwill or church fairs and let other people deal with it!

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.

I probably just need to take greater advantage of the recycling opportunities already available. I'm still looking for a place to recycle some old batteries. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I don't know the answer to the battery question, but please post when you find out, because I've been wondering!

Jan said...

I love that you have your grandmother's handmade quilts! I don't know about batteries either.

BTW, I'm new to RevGals--nice to meet you!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

parsihoner gifts... but how i'd like to include several on a table that says "free stuff - please take it"... not that we're ungrateful but how many crosses, sets of praying hands, angel pins and etc. do we need right?