Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Five ~ Nice Weather We're Having!

A RevGal friend writes.... "Here in the UK we are struggling with floods, other parts of the world have similar problems without the infrastructure to cope with it, still others are badly affected by drought.... With crazy weather in mind I bring you this weeks Friday 5..."

1. Have you experienced living through an extreme weather event- what was it and how did you cope?

I lived through the Ice Storm of 1998 in Maine. It was an amazing experience. It seemed that the whole world was covered in ice. The streets were impassable due to fallen limbs and trees. The ice encrusted trees were beautiful, yet I would say it was an experience of the fierceness of nature. When the ice storm hit I was staying with my Gram for Christmas break. (My parents lived next door.) We manged through several days without electricity by feeding the wood stove. The stove provided heat and a place to warm up canned soups!

After a few days we found out my seminary apartment in Bangor had electricity, so my mother decided to drive my grandmother and I up there ~ about two hours away. Three of us in the cab of a truck, plus a cat and a rabbit (my pets) made for a cozy ride. Yet it was nice to be back to civilization. My mother took a quick shower before heading home to help my father care for my other grandmother and several elderly neighbors. My parents were without electricity for 12 days. (And if you have a well, which they did, that means no water, too!)

2. How important is it that we wake up to issues such as global warming?

I think it is extremely important to pay attention to global warming. After watching An Inconvenient Truth I started thinking more seriously about how the small things I can do to care for the earth can make a big difference. The major obstacle we face, it seems, is confronting our consumerist culture.

3. The Christian message needs to include stewardship of the earths resources agree/ disagree?

Amen and Amen!

And because it is summer- on a brighter note....

4. What is your favourite season and why?

Fall! The air is crisp and the trees are beautiful here in New England. I'm glad to live in a place where I can experience all the seasons! (Even mud season ~ you folks from Maine know what that is!)

5. Describe your perfect vacation weather....

Well, we are leaving for vacation on Sunday and I am hoping for warm days (80's would be nice) with no humidity and cool, clear nights! Is that too much to ask?

3 comments:

karlassi said...

Those ice storms, I tell ya, they catch everyone off guard!!! In Maine, too...brrrrrrrrr. Great play, thanks!

scituatedrev said...

You were in Maine then? I was living in Newport at the time. Where were you surviving those days? We went 9 days without power - it was amazing - neighbors gathering at one home in the neighborhood, all gathered around the woodstove to keep warm, sleeping over - really something.

Nice Friday 5...

Songbird said...

We were so lucky, only lost power for a few hours here and there. My husband (who I hadn't met at that point) lived out in the country and was without power for 10 days. Awful.