Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I've been 'stoled'

It has been quite a while since I've posted, but it's not because I don't have anything to say. Quite the contrary. I actually have so much to say that it feels overwhelming to think about having to gather my thoughts enough to compose a post! Ordination was truly an amazing experience ~ as was vacation after ordination! Gary and I spent time visiting friends and family and painting our little cottage (see pictures below). It was equally amazing to return to my church after a week of vacation and be able to celebrate my ordination with my community of faith, wearing a stole for the first time!

I was able to preach at all three services on Sunday and share with the congregation some of my feelings (questions and celebrations) about ordination. As I shared with them, ordination was a culmination of many years of hard work and an affirmation of God's call in my life ~ yet I'm still me. Here is an excerpt from my Sunday sermon:


With my new stole has come a lot of questions. How does it feel to be ordained? Do you feel different? What is it like to be an ordained minister? And I’ve had trouble answering these questions. It seems kind of foolish, but I don’t know what to say. Certainly being ordained was amazing. It was something I prayed about for a long time, even before I started seminary 10 years ago. When the Bishop and others
laid hands on me and charged me to, “Take authority as an elder in the Church to preach the word of God, and to administer the Holy Sacraments," it was certainly
a humbling experience. I can only pray that I am up to the task. I would say that ordination was a joy, a relief and a little bit scary. But essentially I feel the same. The same, old Krista. Just me. Same vocation. Same calling. Same taste in ice cream……. Should I feel different? I don’t know.


I guess I'm still teasing out some of the questions that sprang up before ordination. What I know for sure, though, is that ordination doesn't solve life's big questions or prove I have 'arrived.' I'm still on a journey, maybe a different phase of the journey, starting down a new path, but it's part
of the same journey ~ and I'm still the same old me! (Only with more interesting liturgical accessories.)

No comments: