Friday, June 01, 2007

Breaking the Rules Again! Friday.... Three

1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?

As I look back on my senior year of high school I recognize now that I was struggling with a call. I didn't want to be the weird kid who got all religious and went to seminary. My passions were working with people, church life, and writing.... and I knew that I wanted to somehow make a difference in the world around me. (Sounds idealistic, huh?)

Even as I decided to go to college and major in Social and Behavioral Sciences, I knew that probably wouldn't be the end of the journey for me. Studying social work was a way to stall the inevitable decision I could sense even then... a way to buy some more time to get 'comfortable' with my call ~ if a call can in any way get comfortable!

2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking? (share one if you can)

My basic hopes and dreams have remained the same, although they have been lived out in ways I could never have imagined at the time. As I said above, when I was leaving high school I was thinking about being a social worker and / or writer. Guess what! I've found a way to do both, and its even better than that.... I probably would never have dreamed that I would be a pastor in Connecticut, a step mom, married to a wonderful man I met at my seminary library! Yet my call to work with people, my love of the church, my commitment to family, my love of the written word and my hope to some how make a difference in the world remain steadfast.

3. Hebrews 11:1 " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Comforting, challenging or frustrating?

Definitely comforting. Although I can not always see the impact I'm having on the world around me, my faith calls me to press on even when ministry is messy and little is happening Spirit-wise. If it wasn't for the assurance that God was somehow with me on this journey, I would never have been able to make the leap to seminary. For that I am extremely thankful... if I had to rely on what I can see it would have been easy to give up hope or settle for what seemed 'good enough.'

This is getting to be a long post, so I am going to stop my Friday Five here. Maybe I'll answer the other two questions tomorrow... or maybe not!

Either way, this has been an interesting reflection especially considering my Ordination is a week from today! It's always good to look at where you've been and where you are. The trick is to be open to where you are going.

8 comments:

Sally said...

great post- what wonderful hopes and dreams- and these rules aren't rules at all..:-)

thanks for playing

Deb said...

congrats on the upcoming ordination day!!!!

:)

I got verbose at my place too... something about this topic made my fingers go crazy!!!
d

Mary Beth said...

So thrilled for your upcoming ordination!

mompriest said...

Thanks for your reflections. And congratulations on the upcoming ordination. I celebrate 7 years ordained at the end of this month.

Diane said...

there are so many ways to "make a difference" and they are continually growing and changing.... congrats on your ordination...great play

Kievas said...

Congratulations!

SpiritMists said...

Congrats on your ordination!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Blessings to you as ordination approaches. Soak it all in...