Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday Five.... Got Talent?

Sally writes about an upcoming 'Gifts and Talents' day on her Circuit:

The idea is to encourage everyone with the news that there is room for you in the ministry of the church- and perhaps to discover where that ministry might be.....

So with gifts and talents in mind here is today's Friday Five:

1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?

I appreciate personality tests, like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, that help you learn something about yourself. Finding out that I am an INFJ helped me understand better who I am and why, for example, I can sometimes know something in my gut without having any facts to back it up (my intuitive, feeling side). Personality tests that you find in the back of women's magazines, though, often make me feel self-conscious.

2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture?

I definitely have a creative side, but that is probably not the first thing people notice about me. On the surface I am more practical, organized and schedule oriented, I think. When my schedule allows, I can be creative. (Like every Saturday night while I am trying to work out a sermon! Thank God for the 11th hour Preaching Party.)

3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had yours yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?

I have been in the spotlight quite a bit, lately, since my recent ordination. I am ready for the spotlight to turn a bit and for everything to get back to normal. I'm not sure if that counts as my 15 minutes of fame, but it is close enough for right now.

4. If you were given a 2 year sabbatical (oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...

If I had two years of 'free time' I would try to write a novel. It sounds cliche, but ever since I was a pre-teen sitting at my Mom's electric type-writer clicking out my first novelette (60 pages single-spaced!) I've dreamed of publishing a work of fiction. Who knows? It may happen someday!

5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.

I took dance lessons as a girl (as so many girls do) and enjoyed it for quite a few years. I wasn't the best dancer ~ coordination has always been a struggle ~ and other interests began to surface, so I quit when I was in the 8th grade. As an adult, though, I always regretted quitting tap. I would love to take up tap dancing again. I know I would never be a star (note my coordination problems, as mentioned above), but I think it would be so much fun!

Bonus question: Back to the church- what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement?

The wildly optimistic follower of The-One-Who-Makes-All-Things-Possible in me says, "Yes!" The practical church administrator part of me that sees this as an overwhelming, not to mention time and energy draining task says, "I'm not so sure." I would like to think it was possible. I think the only way it could happen would be through a deliberate program of small group ministry where everyone feels like an integral part of something much larger than themselves. (Do I hear any Wesleyan 'Amens' out there?)

2 comments:

Sally said...

excellent play, so many good thoughts.. go for that dancing- it is to be enjoyed not perfeted... peace and blessings
Sally

scituatedrev said...

Double "Amen" on the small group comment Kristabeth - that's a been a drum I've been beating quite a while around here. I think our way forward is looking backward and rediscovering this important piece of the Methodist movement. It is extraordinarily ironic that the books out about cell groups/small groups mention Wesley in discussing the small group movement.

Congrats on your ordination - see you at SPLAT!