Monday, May 14, 2007

Five Years

Last Friday Gary and I celebrated five years of marriage. Five years! It has gone by so fast. To honor the occasion we spent some time in Boston's North End. We ate at the original Pizza Regina's, visited North Church and just generally walked around. We saw three big dogs playing in a fountain in the park... chasing each other and chasing balls. It was a warm day and everyone got a big kick out of their antics.

Over the past few days I have been reflecting on marriage, my marriage in particular, and the significance of five years. While we have certainly had our ups and downs, fights and disagreements and difficulties, I feel that I have truly married my best friend. No one quite 'gets me' like Gary 'gets me.' Throughout five years we have dealt with some pretty heavy stuff and have gotten through most of it with a smile. For this I am unbelievably thankful.

In my early twenties I was briefly married to my high school sweetheart. While we made good partners to each other in high school, the marriage was a disaster. Looking back, I can see now that we had totally different ideas about life, faith and family. The marriage lasted a little more than a year and left me wondering if I would ever find anyone who would understand and love me for the person God made me to be ~ call to ministry and all!

This experience in my young adulthood gives me a deeper appreciation for the man I married and the marriage I have today. While we don't know where life will take us, it will take us there together with a lot of prayer and hard work and a few laughs along the way. So be it, Lord! So be it!

No comments: