Friday, April 20, 2007

Sun is Shining: Friday Five

For the Friday Five Songbird suggests:

Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life.

Healing has certainly been a theme for me this week. Healing from wounds I thought were already healed. Healing from the shock of some recent news. Healing from the realization that sometimes, despite how 'in-control' I think I am, I can't do it on my own.

So, for my Friday Five, I am going to talk about healing joy that I have experienced this week:

1. Garlic Bread Sticks, Spinach Artichoke Dip, and Pasta with Chicken and Mushrooms. (Yes, all from Olive Garden.) Good food that my husband brought home to tempt me to eat when I wasn't feeling hungry.

2. A New Blue Jacket. Just looking forward to wearing it for the first time motivated me to get out of bed. It made an otherwise difficult day a little bit special.

3. An unexpected call from a good friend. (Thanks, Linda!) She said she had been thinking of me. I guess the Holy Spirit does work in unexpected ways.

4. Sore calf muscles. The aches in my legs reminded me of the hike my husband I took the day before the big storm. While Case Mountain really isn't a mountain, we could see the Hartford skyline on that clear day.

5. The giggles. Funny how, even when you both are dealing with difficult things, good friends can still laugh together over the silliest things. (Good luck at the Ultimate Frisbee Tournament Stephanie!)

Healing does not come all at once. In fact, we are probably all on our own journeys of healing, whether we realize it or not. Yet, I think it is the joy that comes in the midst of healing that makes healing possible at all.

3 comments:

Iris said...

Great play! Having the giggles at the Olive Garden would be fun!

Presbyterian Gal said...

Yes to unexpected giggles. That's a good one. And your kitty looks just like my all black diva, Callie!!!

Songbird said...

Olive Garden can feel like a *very* joyful event, such a nice festive air.