Saturday, March 31, 2007

Unexpected Funeral

Yes, you say, but all funerals are unexpected. You never know when the funeral home is going to call. That is true. And we did find out about this funeral with quite a bit of notice, as far as funerals go. Last Friday (a week ago) we first heard of this funeral. A long time member of the church who had moved to Pennsylvania was being brought home for burial.

But our Senior Pastor was going to do the funeral. That is until I got a call yesterday at 2:00pm saying that he was not going to be able to make it home from the Cape because his wife is sick with the stomach flu. At that moment the funeral became my responsibility.

I certainly do not begrudge them the need to stay put while her illness runs its course. Yet I also was very much looking forward to this Saturday morning. I don't know how long it has been since Gary and I have been able to spend a leisurely Saturday morning together. We had it all planned out. We were calling it our Sabbath. Sleeping in. Making cinnamon french toast. Walking Nicky together.

But instead I am up at the crack of dawn (has dawn even cracked yet?), bleary eyed and wondering what I am going to say about this wonderful church member who I unfortunately never had the chance to meet. I thank God for Gary's patience with the unexpected in my vocation. Yet I also acknowledge the need to care for my marriage... and wonder when that will be able to happen in the shadow of Holy Week and Easter.

No comments: