Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Taking the Stairs

While taking the stairs up to the 3rd floor of the hospital today, I got thinking more about yesterdays post. Not only are clergy work-hours long and often stressful, but they are also very sedentary. Most of my days are spent sitting at my desk, sitting in front of my computer, or sitting while visiting or counseling parishioners. No wonder our Conference faces rising health insurance costs.... as a group, we clergy are getting older and are none too healthy!

I'm not sure what can be done about this. Personally I've made a commitment to do some sort of exercise as many mornings as possible each week. I definitely feel better for it. Whether walking Nicky or going to Curves, I try to get a little physical activity into my day... and I know that if I wait until the afternoon or evening to do it, it won't get done. My morning routine of devotions, coffee and breakfast with Gary over the newspaper, and some sort of 'work out' often means that I don't make it to the church office until 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning.... but oh well. That's the sacrifice my parishioners have to make for my mental, physical and spiritual health! And it also means that I can stay until 9:00pm when necessary without feeling completely drained.

And on those days that, for whatever reason, I miss my work out ~ I take the stairs!

2 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Funny you should write about this because like last Wed - as I traveled between communities to do Lenten services I again had a 3 Muskateers candybar for supper. I was pondering this very thing. Passed on walking the dog tonight & my husband rolled his eyes which means "great that candy bar landed on your butt". So tomorrow... definitely getting out from behind the desk and off my fanny!

scituatedrev said...

One of the voices I've found helpful in encouraging me to change my habits has been Mike Slaughter. He has a great book called "Momentum for Life" - a great inspiration for pastors and leaders who want to grow spiritually and physically. I'll confess - the only way that I finally changed my exercise habits was to join a local health club. My wife is my accountability partner - she reminds me that $40 is coming out of our checkbook each month and that I better be getting my money's worth!!