Thursday, March 08, 2007

Post Retreat Retreat

We returned safe and exhausted from the Confirmation Retreat last Sunday afternoon. I believe that the kids had a good time ~ they made some new friends, got to stay up late, and hopefully learned a few things about themselves and their United Methodist heritage. The only drawback was the cold, breezy weather which made outdoor worship a bit difficult. For the closing worship everyone walked the Stations of the Cross around the lake and gathered in the outdoor chapel for Communion. It was so cold that our guitarist had trouble picking out the songs and so windy that I was afraid the chalice and bread were going to blow away.

Through it all, I had my post retreat retreat to look forward to! After a couple hours travel and stop at Taco Bell, I was home! A warm shower and a comfortable couch were just what my body needed. (Sleeping on those hard camp bunk-beds is not as easy as it was 15 years ago!) The Dixie Chicks movie was amazing. I was never a Dixie Chicks fan until this last album, which my friend (and fellow adult retreat leader) Stephanie introduced me to. I'm impressed by the strength and determination of these women. In their song The Long Way Around they sing, "I fought with a stranger and I met myself, I opened my mouth and I heard myself." Isn't that just the way is happens sometimes ~ we don't know what we really believe until we hear ourselves say it out loud... and then we have to decide if we are going to stand by our statements or not. I'm glad these women have!

Sunday night Gary made a delicious dinner. Chicken and 'Gary's special potatoes'. It was nice to eat leisurely at my dining room table. Then it was a good night's sleep and back to e-mails, phone calls, visits, sermons and newsletters. My blessings to Stephanie who has to turn around and do it all again this weekend, as she takes our Youth Group on their winter retreat! It's back to the pulpit for me.

No comments: