Friday, March 30, 2007

Lenten Confessions

As Lent draws to a close, I have a confession to make. Two Sundays ago I had the congregation sing the doxology that includes the word, "Alleluia." (If you're a United Methodist, I'm referring to #94 in the UMH!) I did this completely without thinking. Can you believe it?

Surprisingly the congregation didn't storm out ~ nor did the roof collapse on us or thunder and lightening shake the foundations. If fact, when I pointed out my faux pas the following Sunday, most of the congregation didn't even realize that we are not supposed to use the word "Alleluia" during Lent, so it turned out to be a teaching opportunity.

As United Methodists, we are certainly not in the high church tradition, but this leads me to wonder about the importance of our liturgical practice. How does the average parishioner understand our liturgical tradition... and is it meaningful? How well do we education our congregations about the meaning of our liturgy?

To be sure, I will be more attentive to this in Lents to come....

3 comments:

Hedwyg said...

Chuckling here... I'm glad you weren't struck by lightning for that most horrible sin! :-)

Welcome to RevGals!

lorna (see through faith) said...

hallelujah! The roof didn't cave in. The Board of Trustees will be grateful about that :)

welcome to Rev Gals
and schedule time with that husband of yours! That's my advice - not that you asked for it

Mary Beth said...

:) Welcome to the ring!

I'm in a pretty high church Episcopal parish, and folks definitely would have noticed. In a loving way, of course....And likely would've been (secretly) glad for the opportunity to say the "A-word." I miss it when it goes away!

I used to attend a parish where the kids made gorgeous "Alleluias" on paper and buried them in the churchyard on Ash Wednesday.

Then they were dug up ("RAISED") on Easter Morning just before the processional, and the children led the way after the cross, dancing and waving their words of praise and joy.