Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday Five

A lot of exciting blog-related things have been happening this week! I've applied and been accepted to the RevGalBlogPals webring (see my side-bar). I've also received several more hits on my profile and had some more comments from friends and folks out there in the blogosphere. Cool!

I've also slightly redesigned by blog, with help from Gary. Notice the new links to the left. I hope to add more links and information about myself and the blogs I read. Who knew I would have so much fun blogging when I began this back in August?

So, as my first official participation in the RevGalBlogPals, I will do the Friday Five. (You may remember I did it last week as well, but unofficially :>)

"I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:19, NRSV

Songbird writes:

As we near the end of the long journey toward Easter, a busy time for pastors and layfolk alike, I ponder the words of Isaiah and the relief and refreshment of a river in the desert.

For this Friday Five, name five practices, activities, people or _____ (feel free to fill in something I may be forgetting) that for you are rivers in the desert.

Here it is:

1. My discipline of daily devotion has become a desert river for me.... I say become, because until I took on it as an actual discipline, my devotional life was hit or miss. I thought that being tied down to a particular time would be limiting... yet it has become a foundation to my day and a source of strength for the journey.

2. My husband Gary is a wonderful source of joy in my life. I look forward to seeing him at the end (and beginning) of each day. If we are unable to connect because of busy schedules or other circumstances life becomes dry.

3. Getting lost in a really good novel rejuvenates me... Some of my favorite authors are Anne Tyler, Sue Monk Kid, and Sue Miller. Some might think that recreational reading is a waste of time, but I find that it helps me see life in a more imaginative way.

4. Exercise... I posted about this a couple days ago. Getting out for a walk with Nicky or going to the gym just makes me more alive. My Grandmother instilled in me the importance of physical activity. When she was in her eighties she would still go for regular walks by herself and with my Mom.

5. Free, uninterrupted time... Lately I have been longing for a whole day where I could just work on my Scrapbook, go through pictures or do whatever seemed right at the time. Today is almost like that... a true day off. I have some reading I SHOULD do, but you know what? It can wait!

5 comments:

Sally said...

glad you are able to set the reading aside- have a great day- relax and be refreshed!

DogBlogger said...

Nice list! Welcome to RevGals!

Songbird said...

Good for you! I hope you use the day for renewal rather than "should."

Katherine said...

Welcome to the Ring! It's a wonderful lil corner of the blogosphere.

:-)

Melissa said...

This is belated, but welcome to the ring! Glad to see a fellow UMC New Englander!