Sunday, November 12, 2006

Remembering Gram

November 11th would have been my Gram's 89th birthday. Wow... 89 sounds so old, yet I always thought she would live forever. Sledding with me at the Grove. Walking Twinkie in all sorts of ice and snow. Surviving cancer, heart attack and a stroke. When I was a child I thought she was invincible.

It has been almost two years since her death. In some ways it seems a lot longer than that, but in other ways it feels like just yesterday. This time of year I remember how she would tie red bows on the low hanging branches around the campground... a special holiday treat for those entering the Grove. I also remember making peanut butter cups together to give to the neighbors for Christmas.... our own recipe! They weren't pretty, but they were delicious.

My relationship with Gram certainly wasn't perfect. She used to bug the heck out of me sometimes... and I'm sure I bugged the heck out of her too! But I would say that my relationship with Gram was genuine. And I think that is the most important thing about any relationship. That it be genuine.

Because of this, while I do miss her, there really isn't anything I regret... anything I wish I had said or done. And I look forward to that day when I can sit next to her at God's heavenly banquet... and maybe even share some homemade peanut butter cups!

1 comment:

Min's Mom said...

Hi KRis,

I loved your blog about Gram. She had a special connection to you and you did have a wonderful genuine relationship with her!! That is for sure. And your peanut butter cups were the best! Love Mom