Sunday, September 03, 2006

Where I Serve


For the past six years I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church. I have been in my current appointment, as an associate pastor, for just over two years. The picture was taken during the fall of 2004, when we were selling pumpkins on the front lawn! Our own "Pumpkin Patch."

The church, which is a rather imposing structure, was built in 1924. I feel blessed to serve at such a beautiful location, but the people really make the difference! The church has about 900 members and three worship services (two traditional and one contemporary). I preach at the contemporary service primarily, but once a month the senior pastor and I switch and I preach at the traditional services.

As far as the 'process' goes (the UMs out there will know what I am talking about), I am a probationary member, having been Commissioned at Annual Conference in 2004. This year I am eligible to go for my Ordination exam and I am going to give it a try! Last week I mailed in the last of my ordination papers, to my great relief. The exam is in October. Keep me in your prayers!

Today I preached at the traditional services and used the Lectionary Gospel lesson. The Pharisees catch Jesus' disciples eating without first washing their hands! (Gasp!) The title of my sermon was "Getting Our Hands Dirty." However, I just love the Old Testament reading for the day from the Song of Songs.

"My beloved speaks and says to me: Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away; for now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines are in blossom; they give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away. "

~ May your Beloved speak to you this day. May your time of singing come.

No comments: