Friday, September 01, 2006

The Gang

Since my blog will be focused primarily around the happenings in our household, I thought I would lay the foundation by giving you the cast of characters.

First there is Gary and I. We have been married since 2002. Gary is a reference librarian in an academic setting. I am a pastor in the United Methodist Church. We have been at out current location for the past two years. We have family in Maine, Michigan, and Nebraska. We enjoy camping, going out to breakfast, watching Monarch of the Glen and taking the dog for walks.... Which leads me to our next 'character.'

Nicky was 'adopted' by me in 2001. I found him at a kennel during one of my visits to Maine. He was hitched out in back of the kennel (I later found out that was because he didn't get along with other dogs) and as soon as he saw me he began barking. He captured my heart and I knew that he had to come home with me. As soon as I brought him to my parents house, where I was visiting, he peed on my mothers wicker love seat. This did not go over well! I was just beginning to date Gary when I 'adopted' Nicky. When I told Gary what I had done he said, "You did WHAT?!?" Little did we know that less than a year later Gary and I would get married and he would become Nicky's 'Dad.'

Nicky was full grown when I got him, so we are not sure about his age or background. His breed is part Border Collie, part something else. He keeps pretty quiet about his past, but we're sure he had some exciting adventures. Maybe he will share some of those on this blog. For now, though, he seems content to spend his older years in the quiet and comfort of family life.

Speaking of family, there is one member of the family that Nicky has not won over. Zeke was very used to being the 'only child' when Nicky arrived in 2001. I adopted Zeke when I moved out of my parents house in 1996. Zeke accompanied me through seminary and was with me when I began my first appointment. While he is very loving to Gary and I, he has very definite opinions that he does not hesitate to express. (This might explain the comment from Stephanie on my first post.) Some have described him as a guard-cat. Others have said he is just plain mean. Either way, at 10 years old, he isn't going to change. We have to keep Nicky and Zeke separated in the house by using s series of gates and doors. It's just what we have to do to keep the peace.

There is another important member of the family who is not pictured at this time. Benjamin is our seven year old son. He lives most of the year with his mother in Michigan, but spends Christmas and the summer with us. Right now he is into Harry Potter and playing with his cousin Andrew. We decided not to picture him because we have heard all the warnings about posting children's pictures on the web. We are going to wait a while to see how this bloging experience goes before we post any pictures of him. In the mean time, just know that he is an incredibly handsome boy!

Be blessed everyone!

1 comment:

Min's Mom said...

HI, enjoyed reading your blog - and the pictures! Stephanie's comment was funny - the brave one who feeds Zeek when you are away! I look forward to reading more.