Saturday, September 09, 2006

Blogging from Maine

(I originally thought I would be able to both write and post this entry in Maine, but due to a malfunction of my wireless connection, I am writing this in Word and will post when I get back to Connecticut!)

It has been a while since I posted, so I will first write about our Labor Day weekend. For some reason it turned into a weekend of watching classic movies. Gary and I watched both Boys Town and Gone with the Wind. We wanted to see Boys Town after visiting the site of the original Boys Town (still in operation) in Omaha, Nebraska last May with Mum and Larry. The movie was wonderful and it was hard to believe it dates back to 1939. Gone with the Wind was, for me, a bit of a disappointment. I am embarrassed to admit that I have not read the book, nor had I seen the movie until last weekend. I’m not sure what exactly I was expecting. However, I was left feeling cheated when the credits rolled, after watching nearly four hours of film! Anyone else have thoughts about this movie, or suggestions of other good classic films?

To celebrate our rest from labor on Monday, Gary and I went bowling. We had coupons left over from when Ben was here. It was fun to bowl, although neither of us is very good! The first game I won and the second game we tied. It looked certain that Gary was going to win the last game….. until I came back in the final frame with two strikes in a row! I finished the weekend by polishing off the latest Anne Tyler novel, Digging to America. It was truly a masterpiece. Her best novel in recent years. She dealt creatively with the issues of race and what it means to be an American post 9-11, weaving in questions of American family life and faith. I would recommend this, or any other Anne Tyler book, to most anyone. She is my favorite novelist by far. My only regret in finishing this book is that I will have to wait another three or four years for her next.

And now I am in Maine. I will be taking a class on United Methodist Doctrine at Bangor Theological Seminary on Friday. For the meantime, though, I am staying in my wee cottage (I’ll post a picture when I get back), enjoying a day and a half of rest. The sun is shining and the chipmunks are rustling around in the bushes. There is a definite feel that fall is approaching, with the slanting of the sun and nip in the breeze. I had to sleep with my sleeping bag and two comforters last night, since our little cottage has no heat. It seems to me that there is really nothing more beautiful or refreshing than fall in Maine.

During my day and a half of rest, I’ve had a chance to visit with Dad and Debbie, over dinner at Cole Farms. I’ll also be seeing two of my good friends before I head south on Saturday. Then it will be good-bye to our cottage until spring. When we come back, after the snow melts we will be greeted by a different set of Maine blessings ~ mosquitoes and black flies!

1 comment:

min's mom said...

Sounds like you had a nice rrlaxing time at your "wee house". Fall was always my favorite time of year at the Grove and it always seemed to come on quick - when one thought it would never get cool again. Somehow fall always comes!